Saturday, August 27, 2005

Movie Review: My Dinner with Andre


I've wanted to see this movie for a long time, having read about it in books and seen good reviews of it many times. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. I can appreciate the technical aspects of the movie in terms of storytelling - the art of telling a story in real time with simply these two guys having dinner is quite a challenge. But I found the story as related by Andre to be just... well, weird. The discussion it provokes between the two men gets interesting at times, but the weird stories told by Andre that you endure to get to the interesting discussion was a bit much. The stories could have been a lot better. And I found that Andre's depressed outlook on life - having been through all he's been through and related in his stories - to be disappointing. Surely someone with that much curiousity and life experience could have figured out a more positive approach to life by his age.

In sum, I guess I'd say I do recommend it, but not highly.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]